Helping young people use media to communicate, create, and lead.
Part-Time Photo Media Instructor
Organization Overview: Through media arts education, Wide Angle Youth Media cultivates and amplifies the voices of Baltimore youth to engage audiences across generational, cultural, and social divides. Wide Angle programs inspire creativity and instill confidence in young people, empowering them with skills to navigate school, career, and life.
Job Summary: Wide Angle Youth Media is currently hiring an outgoing, dynamic, and team-oriented part-time Photo Media Instructor to facilitate the following program:
- Photo Media Instruction (up to 15 hours per week during the academic year) – facilitate our Photo Lab (beginner/intermediate) and our Photo Studio (advanced) high school cohorts.
- MediaWorks (up to 35 hours weekly during the summer only) – our summer workforce development initiative. The Photo Media Instructor facilitates and leads a MediaWorks cohort of track (1) beginner to intermediate youth ages 14-24 for the *virtual five-week program.
*This program will transition to in-person once COVID restrictions are lifted.
REPORTS TO: Education Manager
THE PART-TIME PHOTO MEDIA INSTRUCTOR – is responsible for the following:
- Recruitment: Facilitating an annual recruitment process including promotion, application review, interviews, and selection of high school youth for each annual cohort.
- Curriculum Design & Implementation: Support and lead the development and implementation of curriculum for the Photo Lab and Studio cohorts and communicate with your peer teaching teams to support student project development during the program.
- Team Facilitation: Facilitate check-ins with the high school team to support the young people as they learn how to use media tools and produce media projects. In addition, identify and invite guest photographers and speakers to regularly join cohort classes.
- Program Administration: Ensure youth complete and submit all required program paperwork by deadlines.
- Evaluation: Evaluate youth growth and progress with technical and career skills.
- Project Documentation: Professionally document work as well as capture youth quotes, success metrics, and stories for the Wide Angle website.
The following skills/traits are required for this position:
- Advanced experience with photography, image editing, and promotional materials, with fluency in Adobe Creative Cloud programs, hardware photography tools, and other photography software.
- Previous experience facilitating/teaching high school-aged youth, working with racially and ethnically diverse and/or low-income communities.
- Demonstrated awareness of how to address and navigate systemic power imbalances through curriculum and/or artistic practices.
- Holds high expectations for each student and works to foster student achievement through building individual relationships
- Enthusiasm and passion for mentoring others and making change in communities. Ability to communicate effectively with citizens, staff, parents, young people, volunteers, and community groups.
- Familiarity with basic computer operations: email, word-processing, spreadsheets, and basic graphics.
- Experience with curricula development, coordinating printing and distribution, and evaluating project success.
HOW TO APPLY
All Wide Angle Youth Media hiring is contingent upon successful state and federal background check clearance. To apply, email your resume and cover letter, along with a writing sample, to email@example.com. Include your name and position in the email subject line (ie: Joe Doe: Photo Media Instructor – PT Application). Interviews for qualified applicants will begin on a rolling basis before the deadline, with September 15, 2022, as the last day to apply, with a potential start date of October 1, 2022.
This part-time hourly position offers a starting wage between $17.31 to $24.46 per hour depending on education, artist portfolio, and years of professional experience. In addition to a positive organizational culture, our comprehensive benefits package for this position includes:
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- After your first year, eligibility for a retirement plan. Wide Angle contributes up to a 3% match.
- Stipend for professional development
- Receive training around:
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE’s)
- Restorative Circles
- Design Thinking
- Shared curriculum planning and feedback sessions
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion… And many more!
- Mileage/Parking Reimbursement
- Innovation Fund for cool projects you wish to start with students that aren’t currently happening.
Wide Angle Youth Media is an equal opportunity employer and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or handicap, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition, citizenship status, service member status, genetic information, union affiliation or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit www.wideanglemedia.org.